Roasted Root Vegetable Soup with Garlic and Pesto
Makes: 10 cups or 8 servings, 1-1/4 cups each
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound golden beets, trimmed, peeled and medium diced
- 1 pound carrots, medium diced
- 1 pound parsnips, medium diced
- 1 celery root (about 12 ounces), trimmed, peeled and medium diced
- 8 ounces peeled shallots, cut in half
- 2 ounces peeled whole garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground black pepper and ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 7 cups water or vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup ARMANINO™ Basil Pesto
- Toss vegetables, shallots and garlic with 1/3 cup oil and seasonings until well coated. Arrange in an even layer on sheet pan.Bake in 400°F convection oven 30 to 40 min. or until very tender.
- Puree roasted vegetables with water, in batches, in blender until smooth, adding additional water to achieve desired consistency.
- Mix pesto and remaining olive oil. Drizzle on top of soup just before serving. Garnish with parsnip chips, if desired (see note below).
- To prepare parsnip chips: Use vegetable peeler to shave long strips from 2 peeled parsnips. Shallow fry in hot vegetable oil 1 to 2 min. or until golden brown. Season with salt.
- Enjoy a comforting bowl of this vegetarian soup, which is high in fiber, potassium, and Vitamins A and C.